- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 T ginger, about 1 inch ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 T garlic, minced, about 3 cloves
- 1 c orange juice
- 1/2 c chicken or veggie broth, or more depending on your desired consistency
- t ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 c pepitas (pumpkin seeds) or pine nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half. Drizzle olive oil and salt on the baking sheet and place squash cut side down.
- Roast in the preheated oven until squash is tender and lightly browned, 30-45 min.
- Allow the squash to cool, then spoon out the seeds and discard. Spoon the remaining butternut squash into a blender.
- Add orange juice, ginger, garlic, and cumin to the blender, and blend until smooth. You may add more chicken broth depending on your desired consistency.
- To roast the pepitas, put them in a dry skillet on high heat for 3-4 minutes, until they puff, start to turn slightly brown, and they may even pop.
- Pour soup into individual bowls and top with roasted pepitas or pine nuts. Enjoy!