- 3 T olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 t sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 t black pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ t dried oregano
- 4 15-oz cans black beans, drained
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 2 quarts veggie stock (or chicken stock for more flavor)
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Once hot, add chopped onion and celery, and cook until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add all spices and cook until you can really smell their flavor, 1-2 minutes.
- Add black beans, can of tomatoes, and veggie stock, and heat until warm, about 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to purée until smooth, or desired consistency.
- Serve warm, topped with cilantro, red onion, and avocado slices (optional).