8 large shallots
1 cup tapioca starch or cassava flour
olive oil for pan frying
- Heat about 1/4 in of oil in a large pot on medium heat (the wider and flatter the pot, the easier!).
- Pour the tapioca starch in a large bowl.
- Cut all of the shallots in 1/8 in thick slices. Then remove each ring from that slice so you have individual rings. Place these rings in the tapioca starch.
- Continue this process until you’re done with all of the shallots. Then mix the shallots around so all are fully coated in tapioca starch.
- Carefully place a single layer of shallots in the hot oil. If oil splatters, turn down the heat. This will be a slow process!
- Don’t overcrowd the pan and don’t stir! Let the shallots cook until they turn golden brown and deep brown, then flip.
- When they’re browned on both sides, remove and place on a paper towel to drain extra oil. Salt immediately.
- Continue this process until all of the shallots are cooked. It may be a long process, but trust me: these are the most delicious things you’ve ever tasted!