- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T olive oil
- 3 tomatillos, husked, rinsed and cut into quarters
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ½ to 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- Tortillas, grain-free, taco size
- Red cabbage, avocados, limes, cilantro, chopped onion for garnish (optional)
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add 1 T olive oil, add the tomatillos and saute until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped onion and 3 minced garlic cloves. Saute until the onion is translucent (about 3 minutes more)
- Remove the sauteed tomatillos, onion and garlic from the Instant Pot and turn it off.
- Add the sauteed tomatillos, onion and garlic to a blender. Add 1 can diced tomatoes, chipotle powder, oregano, cumin, salt and chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Add chicken breast to Instant Pot and pour sauce on top. Cover and select Poultry setting on the Instant Pot and cook for 15 minutes. Once cooked, manual release the steam.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken using 2 forks and then return the chicken to the Instant Pot. Add 1 T red wine vinegar and stir to combine. Cancel the setting on the Instant Pot and let the chicken and sauce cool and the sauce thicken. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm your tortillas on the stovetop, allowing them to get a little char around the edges.
- Serve the chicken tinga in warmed tortillas and garnish with thinly sliced red cabbage, avocado slices, chopped cilantro, chopped onion and lime wedges (optional).