Green Enchilada Sauce:
• 1 batch Green Enchilada Sauce here.
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Vidalia or sweet onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups shredded chicken
2 cups green enchilada sauce, homemade (above) or store-bought
12 tortillas (corn or Siete for Paleo and grain-free), cut in half
2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack or Mexican blend cheese, if you’d like to add dairy or use a plant-based cheese
Toppings- all optional:
chopped fresh cilantro, diced red onion, thinly-sliced green onion and diced avocado
Assemble Enchilada Bake
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan. Add 1 diced onion and saute until soft – approx 5 min. Add 1 clove minced garlic and saute for 1 minute more until fragrant.
- Add 2 cups shredded chicken and 1 1/2 cup enchilada sauce to the onion mixture and stir until combined and heated through. Set aside.
- Pour ½ cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Add a layer of tortillas, a layer of chicken mixture and a layer of cheese, if using. Repeat with another layer and finally a third layer topped with remaining ½ cup enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes until the top layer of cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with roasted vegetables for Whole30/ Paleo, or rice and beans.