This gluten free jalapeño cornbread muffins recipe is the *perfect* accompaniment to your BBQ, chilis, soups and stews and also a great way to add a little spice to your breakfast spread. The sweetness of the corn and the heat from the jalapeños make for the perfect sweet and savory combination. You can have this delicious gluten free jalapeño cornbread muffins recipe ready to eat in under 30 minutes!
When we lived in Savannah, there was a restaurant on the river that served skillet sweet jalapeño cornbread, and it changed my life. You could literally DROWN in the amount of butter in this dish.
In its honor, I’ve concocted a similar, gluten free version in muffin form. We eat these ALL the time with my chili and truly *any* Southern meal.
Tell me in the comments- what’s your favorite way to enjoy cornbread? Sweet? Savory? Buttery? Dry? Spicy? There are SO many versions and I know my Southern friends will fight for their favorite way! 😂
If you prefer just a plain ol’ corn muffin, these are just as great without the jalapeño. Serve them warm on their own, or slathered with butter or ghee and a drizzle of honey. (NOM).
If you happen to have any gluten free jalapeño cornbread muffins left over, keep them in an airtight container for up to 2 days and zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds to warm them up. These also freeze really well if you need to bake them ahead of time.
Are corn muffins gluten free?
Normal corn muffins are NOT gluten free. Corn muffins are normally a mixture of corn meal and typical white flour (that contains gluten). So if you’re looking for a gluten free corn muffins recipe, you can use the one below! We make it gluten free by using cassava flour and arrowroot starch in place of typical white flour.
One thing to note is that you need to be sure that your cornmeal is gluten free as well as all brands are not – always read the labels! (While corn meal itself is naturally gluten free, it can be processed on the same machinery as gluten-containing flour). We love this Bob’s Red Mill cornmeal.
What to eat with this Gluten Free Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins Recipe?
Here are some of our favorite meals to pair with these muffins:
- Five Pepper Sweet Potato Chili
- Traditional Barbecue Sauce
- South Carolina Barbecue Sauce
- Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
- Sweet and Spicy Jalapeño Cole Slaw Recipe
- Potato Salad Recipe
- Brussels Sprouts Slaw Recipe
- Kale + Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Roasted Potato Salad Recipe
Gluten Free Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter or ghee, softened (1 stick)
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup gluten free cornmeal
- ¾ cup cassava flour
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 medium jalapeños (divided)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line a muffin tin with paper or silicone liners
- Melt the butter and add to a medium size bowl. Add the honey, coconut sugar, and eggs. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cornmeal, cassava flour, arrowroot starch, salt, and baking soda.
- Fold in the almond milk, apple cider vinegar and 1 finely diced jalapeño to the wet mixture. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture evenly into the muffin tin and top with a thin slice of jalapeño (optional).
- Bake for 18 – 22 minutes until tops are golden brown and a cake tester inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
If you’d like to save this Gluten Free Jalapeño Corn Muffins recipe for later, Pin it Here!