This Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones Recipe is sponsored by Danone North America/ SO Delicious®, but all thoughts, opinions, and the recipe are my own! Thank you for allowing me to work with brands I believe in to continue to bring you free recipes and content!
I absolutely LOVE scones! They are so versatile and can accompany many variations of flavor combinations. If you like scones, too, be sure to also check out my Gluten Free Raspberry Scones recipe!
The History of Scones
Scones originated as a Scottish quickbread, originally cooked on a griddle and made of oats. After the introduction of baking powder and oven baking (can you even imagine a time without ovens?!), they are now baked in the oven using flour. While scones are often associated with Tea Time in England, I think these scones are great any time of day. There are many varieties across Great Britain and western Europe and just like most family recipes, everyone claims their family recipe is best!
What makes this Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones Recipe healthier?
These Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones are gluten free and dairy free, but you would never know it! And they’re also Paleo except for a tiny bit of rice starch in the SO Delicious® Coconut Yogurt Alternative.
I personally love using coconut sugar because it’s a low glycemic sweetener and won’t spike your blood sugar like traditional sugar will.
I use these Made in Nature Organic Cranberries I found at Sprouts! I love them because they’re sweetened only with apple juice.
Traditional scones are made with white flour, sugar, butter, and buttermilk. We’re using my favorite gluten and dairy free alternatives to make these taste just like the real thing! A combination of lots of different grain free baking flours is what makes this recipe so delicious, and nutritious! We use almond, cassava, AND coconut flours!
I also use the SO Delicious® Plain Coconut Yogurt Alternative in this recipe- it adds a delicious depth of flavor and moisture to this Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones Recipe! It’s a great way to keep these scones dairy free!
Be sure to check out your Sprouts Farmers Market App for a special coupon for Buy ONE (1), Get ONE (1) FREE Silk or So Delicious Yogurt Alternative 5.3 OZ cup January 29- February 26th, 2020.Print
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¾ c cassava flour
- ¼ c coconut flour
- ¼ c coconut sugar + 1 T for topping
- ¾ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ½ c butter, cold (or ghee or coconut oil to keep it dairy free)
- 1 container (about ½ c) SO Delicious® Plain Coconut Yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 T orange juice
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ½ c white chocolate chips
- ½ c dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a food processor, pulse together flours, ¼ c coconut sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add slices of cold butter (or ghee) and pulse until small balls start to form. It will not form a dough in this step.
- In a small bowl, whisk together SO Delicious® Plain Coconut Yogurt Alternative, egg, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Slowly pour this yogurt mixture into the processor, pulsing until dough just comes together, being careful not to overwork the dough. It will be very wet.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and orange zest.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured work surface (I prefer cassava flour here). Pat dough into a 1-inch-thick circle and cut like a pizza into 8 pieces. Place pieces about 2 inches apart on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops of the scones with remaining 1 T coconut sugar.
- Cook for 15 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through, or until golden brown and cooked completely through.
- Allow to cool, then remove from the baking sheet. You may use more SO Delicious® Vanilla Coconut Yogurt as icing on top – it’s delicious! Apply with a spoon or piping bag in a zig-zag pattern across each scone. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Want to save this Cranberry Orange White Chocolate Scones Recipe for later? Pin it here!