I hate to be the bearer of bad news when I reveal yet one more thing you didn’t know was actually toxic. The good news is I have the best toxic free coffee brand to tell you about! At least we have a solution to the problem 😉
TL;DR: Get Kion Coffee here! Use the code OLIVEYOUWHOLE to save!
Does Coffee Have Mold?
What is a Mycotoxin and Why is it In My Coffee?
Mycotoxins are the byproducts or toxins created by mold spores. Mold and mycotoxins can be found on many different food crops including, but not limited to, grains, nuts, spices, dried fruits, apples, and coffee beans. (5) These molds and mycotoxins are most prevalent in warm, wet climates. Since coffee is grown in tropical climates, this contributes to the high percentage of coffee with mold and mycotoxins. The fact that coffee beans are harvested, fermented, and then stored in these warm, moist climates, which proliferates the mold even more.
What are the Symptoms of Drinking Moldy Coffee?
There can be many widely-ranging symptoms of drinking moldy coffee, mainly due to the different mycotoxins that could be present. Your own personal response to mycotoxins also determines the severity of your reaction.
Symptoms of Drinking Moldy Coffee include:
- Brain Fog
- Allergic Reactions like:
- Watery and Itchy Eyes
- Flu-like symptoms
- Upper Respiratory Infections
- Gastrointestinal issues like:
Why is finding a Toxic Free Coffee Important?
Coffee is the world’s second most consumed beverage after water, accounting for 2.25 billion cups of coffee per day. In order to get the health benefits of coffee without the consequences, you need to find the best mold and mycotoxin free coffee brand (spoiler alert- I list the best toxic free coffee brand below!)
97% of the World’s Coffee is Considered “Commercial Coffee”
Commercial Coffee is grown on factory farms that are trying to cut down on costs and maximize yield.
What is Wrong with Traditional Coffee?
Traditional coffee can have some significant issues, including:
- Pesticide usage: commercial coffee is one of the most heavily-sprayed crops on the planet
- Mold and Mycotoxins
- Acrylamides: acrylamide is classified as a carcinogen in high doses. (6) It is a chemical that is formed during frying, roasting, and baking at high temperatures. They can develop on coffee beans during the roasting process. In coffee specifically, the highest levels of acrylamides are found in instant coffees and light roast coffees. (7) While they can’t be completely avoided, they can be greatly minimized with intentional sourcing and roasting practices.
- Oxidation: If you’re looking to receive the antioxidant properties of coffee, commercial coffee is not where you’ll find them. Most commercial coffees aren’t fresh. Pre-ground beans, loosely sealed bags, and sitting on grocery store shelves all increase the oxidation of your coffee.
Introducing Kion Coffee: The Best Toxic Free Coffee
I love, love, love Kion Coffee! Kion Coffee is in the world’s top 3% of all coffee beans, known as “Specialty Grade.”
“Specialty Grade” coffee is an important distinction for me because it means transparency. Where the beans are sourced, the date of harvest, and the varietal of the beans are all traceable.
Kion Coffee is ethically sourced, meaning the farms are sustainable and the farmers are treated equitably and paid fairly.
It is roasted to a medium roast, which ensures the least amount of the harmful acrylamides we talked about earlier.
Kion Coffee is packed in nitrogen-flushed bags that are sealed to ensure the highest levels of antioxidants and the freshest coffee you can find!
Taste the difference by getting Kion Coffee here!
The Best Mold and Mycotoxin Free Coffee Brand
In order to ensure that your coffee is mold and mycotoxin free, you have to get coffee from a brand that regularly tests for them. Kion Coffee regularly tests their coffee to ensure its free of mold, mycotoxins, and pesticides.
Taste the difference by getting Kion Coffee here!
Is Organic Coffee Worth It?
I would have to say yes, organic coffee is worth it. The biggest reasons to buy organic coffee is to avoid the pesticides that are sprayed on conventional coffee and to help the environment as organic coffee requires crop rotation.
A coffee that is labeled organic means:
- The fertilizer has to be 100% organic
- NO pesticides may be used
- The land the coffee is grown on hasn’t been exposed to synthetic pesticides or other prohibited substances for the last 3 years
- A sufficient buffer exists between the organic coffee and any other conventionally-grown crops
- A sustainable crop rotation is in place to avoid soil erosion, the depletion of the soil, and to naturally control for pests (8).
Is Organic Coffee Free of Mold?
Unfortunately, not necessarily. A coffee being labeled organic has more to do with how it is grown, and doesn’t require testing for mold. (see above)
Are you interested in other health posts? Check them out here!
So tell me- have you tried Kion Coffee? I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
Want to Save this The Best Toxic Free Coffee | The Best Mold and Mycotoxin Free Coffee Brand post for later? Pin it here!