This Paleo, Whole30 compliant, and Dairy Free French Onion Dip Recipe is next level good! You will want to make this for game day and basically any day ending in a “y”!
Chaz’s Nana makes French Onion Dip almost every time our entire family is all together, and I could seriously sit there and eat the entire bowl of dip and an entire Costco size bag of kettle chips. Seriously.
I really think in an alternative universe that I could subsist on chips and dips alone. I absolutely love the combination of a crunchy chip or cracker accompanied with a creamy dip.
I could wax poetic about my favorite combos for days; Guacamole and Tortilla chips, Hummus and Pretzels, Artichoke dip and crackers and maybe my all time favorite – French Onion Dip with Potato Chips.
Caramelizing your onions is what really makes this recipe extra special (you can always cook them the day before!) and then mix them in when you make the dip.Print
French Onion Dip Recipe (Paleo + Whole30 + Dairy Free)
- 2 Tbs ghee
- 2 Yellow Onions, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups paleo yogurt (we love Forager Unsweetened Plain Cashewmilk Yogurt)
- ½ cup paleo mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the 2 Tbs ghee to a large skillet. Once melted, add the diced onion with a pinch of salt. Heat on low until the onions are nicely caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Place the caramelized onions in a bowl and set aside (or in the refrigerator) to cool completely.
- Once the onions are cooled, add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve chilled with homemade potato chips or sliced vegetables.
The dip is Paleo and Whole30 compliant so if you are doing either, be sure to serve the dip with veggies instead of chips or crackers.
We call for Paleo, unsweetened yogurt for this recipe. You can find our complete list of Whole30 compliant yogurt brands here. We used this Forager Cashew Milk Yogurt for this recipe, and it turned out great!
Looking for more dips? Click here for all of the dips on our site!