This Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe is sponsored by Danone North America/ SO Delicious®, but all thoughts, opinions, and the recipe are my own! Thank you for allowing me to work with brands I believe in to continue to bring you free recipes and content!
What comes to mind when you think of lemons? Often times, it’s the sweet tang of summertime lemonade, but did you know that citrus fruits are at their peak flavor during winter in North America? Florida citrus is actually in season opposite of what I would naturally think- from October through June. Most citrus fruits ripen to their juiciest and sweetest in winter.
One of my favorite varieties of winter citrus is the Meyer lemon. Meyer Lemons are thought to be a hybrid between a regular lemon and a mandarin orange. Smaller than a regular lemon with a thin skin, Meyer lemons have a sweeter, less acidic flavor and can be used in place of regular lemons.
This Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe is a delicious way to incorporate a fresh lemony zing with your morning coffee, a perfect snacking cake for after school or dinnertime.
To make this recipe paleo, I added a combination of almond flour, coconut flour and arrowroot. All these flours combined work together to provide the right flavor, structure and balance for moisture. Almond flour has a neutral flavor and is a must have paleo/gluten-free baking staple. However, almond flour on its own can make a baked good dense as it does not absorb moisture like traditional wheat flour.
Coconut flour is a great accompaniment to almond flour because it absorbs moisture and gives structure to baked goods. Finally, adding Arrowroot flour as well also helps to absorb moisture and helps to lighten the texture of baked goods.
Looking for more baking recipes? Find all baking recipes here and cake recipes here!Print
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe
- ½ c butter, room temperature
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- 2 T lemon zest (from roughly 2 Meyer lemons)
- 3 eggs
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ½ c honey
- 1 c almond flour
- ⅔ c cassava flour
- ½ c coconut flour
- ½ c arrowroot flour (plus 2 T for coating blueberries)
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ¼ c Silk® almond milk
- 1 ½ c blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, beat on high the butter, coconut sugar, lemon zest.
- Beat in each egg one at a time until fully incorporated. Add lemon juice, vanilla extract, and honey, and beat until incorporated.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients: almond flour, cassava flour, coconut flour,½ c arrowroot flour, baking soda, and salt. Add in your Silk almond milk and mix until combined.
- Coat 1 ¼ c of your blueberries in your remaining arrowroot starch, then fold them in the batter.
- Butter your loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Pour your batter into prepared loaf pan. Top with ¼ c blueberries.
- Bake your cake at 350 for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven to 325 and bake for an additional 35-40 min.
Want to save this Paleo Lemon Blueberry Cake Recipe for later? Pin it here!