Y’all know by now that I grew up in the South and I love Southern food. Read that again- I live for Southern food! This Traditional Brunswick Stew with chicken and pulled pork recipe is based off of my husband’s Nana’s recipe. It’s my favorite easy Brunswick Stew recipe I’ve ever had!
What is Brunswick stew?
Brunswick stew is a southern stew traditionally made with vegetables, beans and meat in a tomato base. The perfect one-pot meal for a chilly day.
Where did Brunswick stew originate?
Both Georgia and Virginia claim that Brunswick stew came from their great state during the colonial 1800’s. There seems to be more evidence to back up Virginia, but as someone who has lived in Georgia, I’ll choose their side. Originally made with small game (aka squirrel meat- Nooooooo thank you!) and whatever local ingredients were on hand; nowadays, most Brunswick stews are made using vegetables, lima beans and beef, chicken, and pork.
Brunswick Stew Ingredients
A traditional Brunswick Stew is made with vegetables, lima beans and meat, but this stew is easily adaptable with whatever vegetables and beans you have on hand and tastes great with chicken, pork, beef or combinations of all three. If you are eating paleo, grain free or legume free, remove the lima beans and corn from the Brunswick Stew and replace with your favorite veggies- I would suggest carrots, zucchini and squash.
Is Brunswick stew healthy?
Cooking from scratch is generally the healthier way to go because you know where all your ingredients came from and what amounts were used. Brunswick Stew is filled with veggies, beans, meat and a flavorful BBQ broth. Although it is heartier than most stews, these ingredients are wholesome and good for you.
How to make Brunswick Stew
Brunswick Stew is an easy, delicious one-pot stew that comes together in just over 30 minutes. Sauté the onion and garlic in a large dutch oven or pot until translucent, add your vegetables, lima beans (if using) and broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add your meat, BBQ sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer until all the flavors come together and the stew is heated through.
What to serve with Brunswick stew
- 1 lb pulled pork (get my recipe HERE)
- 1 lb cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups pork stock from the pulled pork or chicken stock
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce – (Primal Kitchen BBQ sauce or make ours here)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the diced yellow onion and saute until translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
- Add the lima beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the pulled pork, shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 more minutes. Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot.
If you want to save this Brunswick Stew recipe for later, Pin it Here!