- 4 lb pork shoulder (also called pork butt)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 C water
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 2 T minced garlic (about 8 cloves)
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 t salt
- 2 t pepper
- Remove any large areas of fat from the pork, then cut into 2 inch pieces. Place in an instant pot, crock pot, or dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- For an instant pot, cook on the Meat/ Stew option for the default setting of 30 minutes.
- For a crock pot, cook on the default meat setting, or about 10 hours.
- For a dutch oven, brown the meat on all sides. Then bring the liquid to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Finally, place in a 450 degree oven without a lid to brown for 30 minutes.
- Remove just the pork, leaving all other ingredients behind to discard. Shred and enjoy!