As soon as the temperatures begin to drop in the Fall, I get a little twinkle in my eye and spring in my step because cooler temps mean CHILI SEASON!! I love a delicious bowl of chili any day of the week during sweater season and am always on the lookout for new varieties and flavors. We’ve had a cold and snowy winter in Denver this year, so I’ve been adding a lot of chilis, soups and stews to our weekly meal rotation.This White Chicken Chili Recipe that’s both Whole30 and Paleo compliant is my NEW FAVORITE recipe. Seriously, it was SO good, we gobbled a double batch up in one sitting. Even the kiddos loved it!
This white chicken chili recipe is lighter than your traditional beef based chilis, but still packs a tangy and spicy punch from the tomatillos, chilis and spices. Also, most traditional chilis contain beans. To make this white chicken chili recipe compliant, I replaced the beans with cashews for added texture and mild flavor. Adding the cashews at the end allows them to retain a bit of their firmness and gives the soup more depth.
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 tomatillos, outer skin removed
- 2 4-oz can diced green chiles
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 cups Chicken broth (1 box)
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 1/2 t ground coriander
- 1 t ancho chili powder
- ½ t oregano
- 2 cups cashews
- Salt to tasteLimes, cilantro and avocado for topping
- Turn on Instant Pot to saute setting
- Add olive oil, onion and tomatillos and saute until onion is translucent and tomatillos begin to pop
- Add garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder and oregano and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add chicken breasts, broth and green chilis to Instant Pot. Turn on the soup/stew setting and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Release the vent manually. Remove the chicken breasts from the Instant Pot and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken using two forks.
- Pour the mixture from the Instant Pot into a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful – the mixture will be hot!
- Return the mixture and chicken to the Instant Pot and add the cashews. Reseal the lid and let it sit on the keep warm setting for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot and garnish with cilantro, avocado and limes.