I am so excited to finally reveal this Red Pork Posole Recipe. My take on this traditional Mexican comfort food is packed with flavor and really warms you from the inside out.
What makes this Red Pork Posole Recipe Whole30 + Paleo + Grain Free?
Classic Mexican posole recipes contain hominy (which is shelled corn kernels soaked in water and lime juice). The kernels are large and resemble chickpeas. However, since corn is not compliant with Whole30 or Paleo diets, I’ve replaced the hominy with cashews and love the results.
Posole is typically served during times of celebration such as New Year’s Eve to celebrate the New Year, but I find that this delicious stew is reason enough to celebrate! There is also an assortment of ways you can customize posole to fit your palate. The 3 typical varieties are; white (blanco), green (verde) and rojo (red). My Red Pork Posole recipe is based on the red variation which contains a mixture of red peppers/spices such as ancho, guajillo and arbol. To make a white posole, omit the green and red salsas and for the green posole, include green ingredients such as tomatillos, epazote, cilantro and jalapenos.
When the soup is done, there are SO many options for toppings! We typically top it with sliced cabbage, lime, avocado, and radishes. Really, you can’t go wrong. If you aren’t doing a Whole30, I recommend serving them with these Siete Tortilla Chips. They are SO GOOD. They’re grain free and such a good topping for this Pork Posole recipe!
Looking for more Mexican recipes? Find them here! Find more soup recipes here.Print
Pork Posole Recipe
- ¼ c olive oil
- 3 pound bone-in pork butt (or shoulder)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 T ancho chile powder
- 3 dried guajillo chile peppers
- 3 dried arbol chile peppers
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular dried oregano)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and saute until translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add pork to Instant Pot and brown on all sides for 1-2 minutes each.
- Leave pork in Instant Pot and add garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, chilis, bay leaves, oregano and broth. Secure lid and set the vent to sealing. Change the setting to meat/stew and increase the time to 1 hour. When done, release the vent manually.
- Remove pork from Instant Pot and discard bone (if applicable) and any fatty bits. Let cool enough to handle.
- While pork is cooling, add sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the sauce to Instant Pot and set to keep warm. Add the cashews.
- Shred the pork by hand using forks to pull apart or shred using stand mixer and whisk attachment.
- Return pork to Instant Pot and stir to combine all ingredients. Serve in bowls and add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with avocado, fresh diced red onions, radish, cabbage slaw, and cilantro, optional.
Top your posole with an array of toppings such as avocado, onion, radish, slaw, limes, cilantro, etc.
Want to save this Pork Posole Recipe for later? Pin it here!