Meatball purists may roll their eyes at the mention of this turkey meatballs recipe, but give these a try and we promise you won’t roll your eyes ever again. There is room for ALL the meatballs and everyone needs a great classic recipe to add to their rotation. This Turkey Meatballs Recipe does not disappoint.
We’ve updated the recipe to be gluten free, but you would never know. We substitute traditional breadcrumbs with almond and coconut flour and serve the meatballs over gluten free pasta. Not a fan of pasta, these meatballs are great over mashed potatoes, polenta or even in just a bowl of sauce with a green salad and crusty garlic bread. To make this recipe Whole30 compliant, chose a Whole30 compliant pasta sauce and serve over zoodles.
These come together quick and easy and also freeze really well. Make a double batch and freeze half for later.
This versatile classic recipe will also work with ground beef and pork mixtures as well. But honestly, we love the flavor of these turkey meatballs, we may never look back.
Turkey Meatballs Recipe (Paleo + Whole30)
- 2 lbs. ground organic turkey (not too lean- for best flavor)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1 T coconut aminos
- 2 T almond flour
- 2 T coconut flour
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley
- 1 T chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 t chopped fresh thyme
- 2 t chopped fresh rosemary
- Sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 box pasta of choice
- 1 jar Marinara Sauce
- Make the Turkey Meatballs: In a large bowl, add the ground turkey, onion, minced garlic, egg, coconut aminos, almond flour, coconut flour, chopped herbs, salt and pepper to taste and stir with a fork until well combined.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Grab a golf ball size of turkey mixture and roll between hands to form a ball. Lay the meatballs onto the sheet pan.
- Heat 2 T olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Working in batches, add meatballs and brown on all sides and cook through. Approx 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Return the meatballs to the dutch oven and add 1 jar of marinara sauce. Simmer on low while you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil on the stove. Add a large pinch of salt and cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and toss with 1 T olive oil.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over the pasta. Garnish with fresh torn basil leaves.
Want to save this Turkey Meatball Recipe for later? Pin it here!