Celiac disease occurs in about 1% of the United States population, and only about half of women are diagnosed, which is a very low rate of diagnosis. Unfortunately, celiac disease has no cure. But by understanding this disease a bit better – its genetic and environmental components, risk factors, complications, and diagnosis – we can hopefully better manage celiac disease and still enjoy the life that we want.
In today’s conversation, Dr. Peter Green, who runs the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, joins us to talk more about celiac disease, particularly what triggers it and how it can be tested.
In this episode, you will hear:
- What is celiac disease?
- Diagnosing celiac disease
- The genetic component of celiac disease
- Risk factors and complications
- FODMAP sensitivity and medication
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to our podcast? We’d love for you to subscribe if you haven’t yet.
We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- Celiac Disease Center – series of lectures open to anyone on Feb 3rd. – Celiac Connect – CeliacDiseaseCenter.Columbia.Edu
- Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic by Dr. Peter H.R. Green, MD: https://amzn.to/3Hl2oNy (affiliate)
- Gluten Exposed: The Science Behind the Hype and How to Navigate to a Healthy, Symptom-Free Life: https://amzn.to/3D3E8NH (affiliate)
- Diagnosis and management of adult coeliac disease: guidelines from the British Society of Gastroenterology: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112432/
- Long-term Intake of Gluten and Cognitive Function Among US Women: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34019084/
- Psychotropic medication use among patients with celiac disease: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29580225/
- Two waves of coeliac disease incidence in Sweden: a nationwide population-based cohort study from 1990 to 2015: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34321220/
- Association Between Celiac Disease and Mortality Risk in a Swedish Population: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32259229/
- Accuracy of a no-biopsy approach for the diagnosis of coeliac disease across different adult cohorts: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33139268/
Similar Podcast Episodes:
If you like this podcast and are thinking of creating your own, consider talking to my producer, Emerald City Productions. They helped me grow and produce the podcast you are listening to right now. Find out more at https://emeraldcitypro.com Let them know I sent you.